Kiss energy bills goodbye!
According to the Department of Energy, "As a Zero Energy Ready Home Partner, High Performance Homes offers homes that are so energy efficient, all or most of their annual energy consumption can be offset with renewable energy."
Energy Components of an HPH Home
1. What is a Zero Energy Ready Home?
Samuel Rashkin, Chief Architect for DOE Building Technologies Office, said “Zero Energy Ready Homes like those constructed by High Performance Homes are the home of the future because they live, work, and last better with incredibly low or no energy costs. And what’s exciting for American homebuyers, they are available today thanks to leading builders across the country.”
Our focus is make your new house a home with exceptional quality and attention to details. A Zero Energy Ready Home is a symbol of excellence focusing on a healthful environment, comfort plus, advanced technology, ultra efficient, quality built, and durability. It is truly the Future of Housing-Today! To learn move about the specific energy measures High Performance Homes utiltizes with every one of our homes please continue to read below.
2. Solar Energy
Passive Solar Energy is maximized when you build your house to take advantage of the sun. In the winter it should shine through windows, adding heat to the house. In the summer the windows should be shaded to avoid excess heat.
Active Solar Energy is most commonly provided through photovoltaic solar panels. These panels provide direct electricity to the home. High Performance Homes provides Solar Shingles by Dow to accomplish the same tasks as panels but with a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Stored Solar Energy is most commonly provided through geothermal heating and cooling systems, taking advantage of the massive amount of stored solar energy in the earth.
Benefits of Solar Energy
- Savings on your energy bill
- Freedom from fossil fuels
- Lowers your carbon footprint
- Uses a renewable resource
3. Geothermal Heating and Cooling
A WaterFurnace geothermal heat pump (GHP) taps into the renewable solar energy stored in the ground to provide savings up to 70% on bills. Using a series of underground pipes, it exchanges heat with the earth instead of outdoor air. While air temperatures can vary greatly from day to night or winter to summer, the temperature just a few feet below the earth’s surface stays an average 55°-70°F year-round. No matter what climate you live in, a WaterFurnace geothermal system will deliver.
As outdoor temperatures rise, a GHP collects the unwanted heat in your home and moves it to the cooler 55° earth. Meanwhile, ordinary heat pumps and air conditioners are forced to dump that heat outside. Unfortunately, hot summer air is already saturated with heat and is less willing to accept more. That makes ordinary cooling systems least efficient when you need them to be the most efficient.
As outdoor temperatures fall, a GHP draws from an underground reservoir of heat, concentrates it, and moves it to your home. Meanwhile, an ordinary heat pump is forced to collect heat from frigid winter air, making it least efficient when you need it to be the most efficient. And unlike a furnace, our units don’t create heat through combustion. They simply collect and move it.
Benefits of Geothermal
- Energy Efficient. WaterFurnace systems are rated number one in energy efficiency because they can deliver more than five units of energy for every one unit of electrical energy used. That translates into an efficiency rating exceeding 530% compared to the most efficient gas furnace which rates only 98%.
- Cost Effective. Because of the extraordinary efficiency of a WaterFurnace system, most homeowners save more on monthly bills than they pay for the system when installation costs are added to the mortgage. Most homeowners see a return on investment of 10-20% over the life of the system.
- Clean & Environmentally Friendly. Geothermal systems are recognized by the US Environmental Protection Agency as the most environmentally friendly, cost effective, and energy efficient heating and cooling technology available. In fact, installing a single geothermal unit is the environmental equivalent of planting 750 trees or removing two cars from the road!
- Safe. Because natural gas, propane, or oil isn’t required to operate a WaterFurnace system, there’s no combustion, flames, or fumes and no chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Quiet & Non-Obtrusive. WaterFurnace systems don’t require noisy outdoor units or obtrusive wall units that can disrupt your peaceful surroundings or create unsightly additions to your home’s appearance.
4. Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
SIPs have proven themselves to be the strong building material of the future. No other product can provide both an increase in quality and an increase in savings like SIPs do. The prefabrication and cutting of SIPs means we get a consistent product with strength and durability that can be tested prior the product being used. It results in less waste in construction materials and a higher quality end product when the structure is complete.
Murus SIPs offer engineered energy savings from start to finish. Faster installation, reduced jobsite waste, and a lifetime of lower heating and cooling costs compared to traditional construction are just a few of the many reasons to choose Murus. Several key attributes enable Murus SIPs' ability to achieve outstanding energy efficiency:
R-values measure the capacity of a material, such as insulation, to resist heat flow. The higher an R-value of a material, the greater its insulating capacity. Murus SIPs offer the highest R-value per inch of thickness of any commercially available building system.
R-values can be misleading. For example, a builder may claim a wall has an R-value of 19 because the insulation is rated R-19. But in practice, the wall also contains studs that conduct heat—therefore reducing the wall's overall insulating capability by 20 to 50%*. That traditional R-19 wall may, in reality, have an actual "whole wall" R-value of only R-12.
Because Murus SIPs offer consistent insulation throughout the entire panel, its R-values are true. Even better, Murus SIPs offer R-values up to R-45, depending on the type of foam core and its thickness. And, unlike fiberglass insulation that can sag, shift or take on moisture, Murus SIPs continue to perform over time.
Air infiltration can account for 40% of the heat loss in a building. The Murus SIP system is 3 to 5 times tighter than typical construction methods, and virtually eliminates air infiltration and stratification (cold floors and hot ceilings). The result: a controlled, comfortable living environment with no drafts—and significant reduction in energy costs.
The framing in traditional construction has relatively poor insulating qualities because it creates "thermal bridges"—areas, like studs themselves, where heat can be conducted in a building envelope. This can reduce the stated thermal performance of a wall by 20 - 50%. In addition, gaps may be present wherever materials join together: corners, sheathing joints, and window and door openings, among others. In contrast, Murus SIPs offer a continuous barrier against thermal bridging that dramatically outperforms traditional construction.Protect Indoor Air Quality with SIPs
Murus structural insulated panels (SIPs) are designed to maintain a structure's indoor air quality. Murus foam cores do not contain formaldehyde, CFC's, or HCFC's. Murus SIPs create a tight building envelope that enables the building occupant to maintain control over the indoor environment through the use of mechanical ventilation and filtration. Because a structure that was built with SIPs can be very airtight, many manufacturers, including Murus, require that the structure have a heating and cooling system that includes a mechanical ventilation system.
Benefits of using Structural Insulated Panels
- Durable over time, with Class I fire rating it provides you peace of mind
- Provides superior energy efficiency and excellent structural properties
- Does not allow for air infiltration or stratification for exceptional comfort and reduced energy costs
- Constructed from renewable sources, preserves forests and reduces onsite construction waste
- Contributes to points under the EED and NAHB certification programs
A picture is worth a 1,000 words...
5. Nautic Air Filtration Difference
Nautic Air's patent pending PolarClear technology provides superior air purification without the use of ozone chemicals. The combination of air filtration and photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) provides filtration to .0001 microns. Using a water-based titanium dioxide (TiO2) catalyst, Nautic Air's system is completely green and environmentally safe.
Benefits of using The Nautic Air System
- Improved indoor air quality
- Improved allergies and asthma
- Reduces the spread of airborne germs
- Can help with sinus problems, headaches, fatigue and eczema associated with poor air quality
6. Smart Home Technology
Our connected home automation systems, with products from expert partners such as Control4/Kevson and eGauge, make homes ultra-efficient, cleaner, healthier and more comfortable.
Benefits of using Smart Home Technology
- Connected Home Systems. “Smart Home” systems allow you to monitor, automate and control potentially everything in your home via keypads, PCs, tablets and phones. The possibilities include lighting, window treatments, security, HVAC, audio/video systems, energy management and more. The systems we install make homes more livable, secure and energy efficient.
- Lighting Control. Well-designed lighting control systems can make a huge difference in the aesthetic appeal, livability and value of a home. Today’s smart lighting will make your home more secure and easier to live in while lowering utility bills. We can install lighting control in any dwelling, from a home under construction to a colonial era landmark to a studio apartment. Our experience makes Kevson the area’s go-to resource for residential lighting control systems.
- Security. New technologies have opened up a vast range of reliable and capable residential security options. We can show you how easy and affordable it is to add security cameras, intrusion sensors and environmental monitors to your home. Count on Kevson to protect your family and your home.
- TV and Video Systems. Get the greatest convenience and picture quality possible from every TV in your home. We can help you choose and install everything from a small wall-mounted TV in the kitchen through a 100-inch front projector system in a dedicated home theater room.
- Home Theater. Enjoy better picture, sound and comfort with a Kevson designed and installed home theater system. Our systems provide state of the art performance with one-button simplicity. Whatever your needs from dedicated theater rooms with stadium seating, to family room home theaters, to nearly invisible in-wall/in-ceiling systems, to bedroom cinema, you can Count on Kevson.
- Multi-room Audio. Enjoy an infinite choice of music in every room in your house and throughout your outdoor spaces. We are the experts at getting the best performance and ease-of operation with wired and wireless distributed audio systems from brands such as Sonos® and Control4™.
- Energy Management. Kevson is proud to be a pioneer in the adoption of technologies for Zero Energy homes. Our connected home automation systems, with products from vendor partners such as Control4™ and eGauge, make homes ultra-efficient, cleaner, healthier and more comfortable. Contact us to learn how to make any home a home of the future.
- Outdoor Living. Every activity that you enjoy indoors can be brought to the outdoors, including sophisticated lighting, audio, video, even home theater. Let us show you how to enhance your lifestyle and increase the value of your home.