Why Smart Technology Is Critical to an Energy Efficient Home
According to Energy.gov, an energy efficient home is comfortable, durable and designed with state-of-the-art construction and renewable energy systems. An energy efficient home should also include smart technology. A smart home can automatically adjust heat settings, detect food spoilage in the fridge and monitor the movements of children and pets. There are several important reasons why smart technology is critical to an energy efficient home.
Why It's Important to Have Advanced Technology
A net zero energy home produces an amount of renewable energy that is equal to or more than the energy the home uses. This is a home that has advanced building systems and superior energy efficiency. Smart technology is a crucial component in making sure a home is as energy efficient as possible.
Advanced technology that controls heating, cooling, lights and water usage will contribute to making a house a net zero energy home. Smart technology not only works in specific areas of your house, but it can communicate and interact with other components to create a home that is ultra-efficient.
Components That Homeowners Can Control
There are several components of a net zero energy home that you can control and monitor.
- Lights - A large amount of your utility bill goes toward lights. The good news is that you can install motion sensors and automatic timers to make sure the lights are only on when needed. According to Livewire, smart technology will not only turn off lights when you leave the house but also as you move from room to room.
- Thermostat - Controlling when and how heating and cooling components are used can save energy and reduce expenses. You can control thermostats from your phone, computer or even a smart home hub that responds to your voice.
- Security - Your family's safety is a priority, and smart technology can play an important role. From motion sensors to cameras, there are a variety of security measures available that you can control from your phone - even when you're not at home.
- Water Usage - Smart technology can control how much water is used each time you do a load of laundry. There are even sprinkler systems that can monitor how dry the ground is and how much rain your yard has received.
- Integration - According to Forbes, artificial intelligence can help to integrate components such as appliances, lights and security. Smart homes of the future will allow you to control all aspects of your home through a centralized intelligence system.
Why Smart Tech Is the Future of Smart Homes
There are several reasons why smart technology will be critical to smart homes.
- Increased Efficiency - Smart technology will enable you to save time. Everything from digging for your keys to forgetting to turn off an appliance can be inconvenient. You'll be able to quickly turn off lights and lower the thermostat even after you've left home.
- Increased Comfort - You'll be able to adjust the temperature and lights for each room to accommodate individual tastes. It's even possible to have your favorite music or TV show playing when you walk in the door.
- Increased Safety - A smart home provides you and your family with the highest level of safety and protection. Cameras and sensors can detect everything from break-ins to home fires to carbon monoxide presence.
- Increased Resale Value - If you want to sell your home a few years from now, having advanced technology throughout the house would be an attractive selling point.
Smart home technology is an integral part of an energy efficient home. At High Performance Homes (HPH), we have years of experience building homes that contain advanced technology, innovative design and the highest levels of energy efficiency. We can work with you to build a home that is both beautiful and energy efficient. Contact HPH to get started today.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be publsiehd. Requried fields are marked *